How We Work
It is our goal to tell the personal story of every person on the kidney waitlist. We believe there is great power in stories. Connections are built and empathy is born. We are passionate about helping patients find their life-saving kidney donor and raising living kidney donor awareness so that others not only feel more comfortable with donating but excited to donate. As fellow kidney donors, we know how extraordinary it is for both the donor and recipient when someone steps up to give this incredible gift of life.
For Potential Donors
- Sign up and create a donor profile.
- Once registered, you will be able to search recipient profiles by blood type and City, State.
- After you find a person you are interested in donating to, click the “Start Donation Process” tab and a member from our team will reach out to you.
- We will walk you through the donation process as you start the medical questionnaire for the transplant hospital and provide the required urine and blood samples.
- Once you are deemed healthy enough and approved as a match by the transplant center, your transplant will be scheduled. This is awesome!
- We will help you get as many incentives/resources as available. These can include lost wage reimbursement, life and disability insurance and travel and lodging reimbursement.
- We will stay in touch during your recovery and if any financial burdens do arise, we may be able to offer grants from our kidney donor fund to assist you with any unforeseen expenses. (Although donors have minimal expenses as no ongoing follow-up care is required)
For Potential Recipients
- Sign up and create a recipient profile (Make sure to include your transplant center and coordinator contact info).
- Once registered, your profile will be searchable by potential donors.
- Be sure to check out our Facebook pageas we will periodically be sharing stories of registered recipients. If you see yours featured, be sure to share!
- As you wait for a donor and are having conversations about your need for a kidney, direct anyone interested in donating to this site so they can learn more about donation and more about you!
- When a potential donor begins the donation process, your transplant center will likely contact you to obtain more blood samples for the crossmatch.
- We will stay in touch during your recovery and if any financial burdens do arise, we may be able to offer grants from our kidney recipient fund to assist you with any unforeseen expenses.